Friday, October 06, 2006

The Emperor Has No Close

Windows Mobile Team blog hits again and want to set matters straight about closing applications and memory management by Windows Mobile. I have to admit that I fully agree with them and it's quicker to manage programs running in the background than to access the Programs folder everytime. I do it all from my Today screen. Bear in mind that Windows is a multitasking OS. Now, think about it, If you spend money to purchase apps to "really" close your applications, then you should consider switching to another OS for your PDA and be leftout of the mainstream because it defeats the purpose of a multitasking OS.

"The base philosophy, that users shouldn’t need to manage their memory, is pretty hard to argue against. Come on, tell me that users should be required to manage their own memory. I dare you. You can tell me that you can do a better job. You can tell me that we don’t do a good enough job. You can tell me that in some cases we do a fine job, but in the cases when we don’t, the world comes to a screeching halt, time goes backwards, and history is rewritten to be somehow more dark and foreboding than it already is. But you can’t tell me that users should be required to manage their own memory. That’s like saying that car owners should be required to change their own oil. I don’t think so." Read more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i personally dont like the fact that you close apps and it stays active in memory, i use SBP pocket plus which fixes the problem closing programs straight away or you can mimise them