Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Google Maps looses its bearing

I’m having some issues with Google maps on my HTC advantage X7510 and I thought that warrants a post. Ever since i got my device, Google maps has been working great. It would show up my location within a 100 meters. Which is not so bad for a free internet location-based service. I do not own a GPS device, thus I do not have any experience with GPS. There is no need for me to own one on this small rocky island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. However, I noticed that Google Maps was acting funny since last week.

Yesterday I launched the application and instead of showing my location, it displayed my location within 2500 meters. Instead of my home town, I had the capital city of Mauritius on my screen. Today is even worst, as it’s showing my location within 5000 meters. Google has me now in Outram in Singapore. I have come to even doubt that Singapore is within 5000 meters from Mauritius (or I’ve lost my bearing) Come on Google, it would be awesome if you could have your software physically send me there. Don’t you think?

1 comment:

Blue Eagle said...

I own a Samsung Omnia and have Google Maps installed on it. I have noticed that the more satellites you get, the more accurately the 'My Location' works. Usually, at least 4 satellites need to be found to get a fairly accurate position reading.