Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Flory is no more. Developer cuts development.

I blogged about Flory a few weeks ago in this post as being the first multi protocol messenger app for Windows Phone. Since then I have been using it and it has served me well. Unfortunately, Flory has disappeared from MarketPlace. The developer has decided to remove it from MarketPlace but will keep the server running "until at least IM+ is released...". I've learnt from a blog post at www.flory-im.com that the developer "was looking for an instant messenger for his new Windows Phone. Since there was no messenger, he decided to develop his own, to motivate known messenger developers of other platforms like WhatsApp, IM+ etc. to finally release their messengers for the Windows Phone platform, too. And of course, to have an instant messenger in the meantime". 


According to the blog post, IM+ is working to get a beta version released this month and Kik Messenger has been announced during MIX developer conference. Read Flory blog post here.


Note that neither IM+ or Kik Messenger are available yet in MarketPlace. Those who downloaded Flory can still continue use it until the Flory folks shut down the server.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is really a pitty that on WP7 we are stuck with no IM alternatives at all. Not even some Windows Live client from MS. This really bothers me from the beginning. The rest of the phone is really great but this gives me a hard time everytime I see my wifes Android doing cool different things :-S

Linley Meslier said...

This is indeed a problem for me too. But I expect to see a IM client on Windows Phone sometime this year. Don't know if it's coming from IM+ or Whatsapp though.