Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Microsoft unveils new Windows Phone 8.

Yesterday Microsoft announced Windows Phone 8, its new mobile OS with a slew of features. I'm posting a link to the webcast below for those who could not watch it last night. Joe Belfiore was of course on stage to demo the various features of the OS along with actress Jessica Alba. She has been using a Lumia 920 and she loves the Kids Corner and her music. I will not elaborate too much about those features in this article as I don't have a Windows Phone 8 yet. However, you'll get a glimpse of some of the exciting features announced yesterday and that make Windows Phone 8 a more people-centric OS. More article will follow as soon as I receive and play with a Windows Phone and test these features in real life.

The first feature I want to highlight is the Kid's Corner. As a father of two daughters, this feature is more than welcome. I don't use a lot of storage on my phone but my daughters do by taking a ton of pictures. The Kid's Corner will help me control whether they can access the camera or not. Parents have control over what the children have access to.

Internet Explorer in Windows Phone 8 reaches version 10. Most of the changes are under the hood though. So user experience will be the same as in Windows Phone 7 except that IE10 has increased support for HTML5 and CSS3. Smartscreen filter and Do Not Track options have also been added.

With Windows Phone 8 you can now customize the notification areas of the lock screen. Third party apps can now display notifications icons and counters on the lock screen. Previously, only the calendar could do that.

Rooms is another new feature that gives the user the ability to communicate within a private space. The room comes with a shared calendar that will sync with every member's phone. Things like pictures, videos and to do lists can also be published and shared in the room. Better yet, access to the room can also be granted to iOS and Android devices.

Windows Phone 8 has a lot more features. Unfortunately, as an amateur blogger, I do not have the time to cover them all for now. But again, I will come back with how-to's once I get to play with Windows Phone 8. Until then, enjoy the webcast.

http://www.studiosevent.com/newscenter/?id=WindowsPho0ec59#


No comments: