Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Microsoft adds GPS Power Saver to Microsoft Band 2 and weight tracker to its Health app.

 Microsoft Health picked up a nice update today, especially for those who own the Microsoft Band 2, the second generation fitness tracker made by the software giant. I do not own a Band 2 yet, but I like the addition of the GPS Power Saver, which Microsoft claims to extend the battery life up to 4 hours. I have the Band 1 and use it for biking. While I only bike a distance of up to 13 km with the GPS activated and battery fully charged, I will end up with 40%; enough to complete a guided workout of 13 minutes at home before plugging the Band to recharge and switch to my phone. An additional 40% of battery life will fulfill my needs.

This update also comes with an activity reminder. Again, another feature I wish Microsoft had made available for the first generation of its fitness band. The Activity Reminder will let users set reminders on their Band 2 for every 30, 60, or 90 minutes to take a walk.

The other features include the ability to create guided workouts in the dashboard and share them with friends. The addition of a weight tracking feature to help users maintain their current weight or to reach their goals  and finally, Microsoft added more Web Tiles for a variety of content for users to pick from. 

Get the updated Microsoft Health app in the Windows Store.

No comments: