Friday, November 03, 2006

How I recovered my stolen Smartphone and helped arrest an elusive recidivist

Apart from my beloved Eten M500, I also owned a Sagem MyS7 running Windows Mobile Smartphone Edition 2003SE. Last Saturday, the 28th, a thief broke into my house and stole the phone and some money. I reported the theft to the police and I was told that it would be hard, if not nearly impossible to find out the identity of the thief since there were no fingerprints. This was until I told them that I had Eye on Thief installed on the Smartphone. All we had to do is just to wait for the thief to replace the sim card and turn on the phone, which is what he did three days later. I started getting a bunch of sms from the phone with the new sim card phone number and without the thief even knowing that the software was running in the background. I started my own private investigation and with help from my friends, we were able to attach a name to the thief’s phone number which I remitted to the police. The guy was known to them for being a recidivist. Early this morning, the 3rd of November, they mounted a swift operation to apprehend the guy at his house and seized an impressive amount of stolen stuff including my Smartphone. This guy will be out of business for a very long time thanks to genius of a programmer. I thought it worth sharing this experience to the readers of this blog as it’s also a test of Eye on Thief. The police was simply amazed by the capability of my Smartphone, especially when I made a demo on my Pocket PC. I love Windows Mobile…and Eye on thief.

2 comments:

St3v3 said...

wow that rocks, hey did u tell the app owner about it? they love hearing about those sorta stories

Linley Meslier said...

yes i did send them an email to say thanks.