Monday, October 22, 2007

Unable to sync Outlook data with Windows Vista and how I solved it.

I came across multiple posts about issues where only files and Favorites would sync with Vista and WMDC but not Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. I experienced the same issue this week-end after installing VistaUltimate. Deleting existing partnerships did not help. My Outlook data did not sync even though my HTC S620 would show up in WMDC and synced my favorites. A hard reset was an option since I had the same data on my Pocket PC, but I was determined to resolve this without hard resetting.

I connected my Eten M500 and it synchronized flawlessly. Same for my wife's HTC S310. With the help of a fresh beer, I went to create a new standard account on my PC. I logged on with the new account and started Outlook 2003 to create a profile. Then I connected my Smartphone. The screen to delete an existing partnership came up since I was already synchronizing with two PCs - My
home and Work PCs. So I deleted the office partnership. WMDC saved my new settings and I named my new connection as Home instead of the default Windows PC3. Amazingly, my device started synchronizing with the PC. I went into Outlook and all my data were there. But I wasn't done
yet since I wanted to sync using my own Vista account.

I logged off and logged back on using my own account. Since Outlook already had data from my Eten, I deleted them all, connected my Smartphone and deleted one existing partnership. After that my device synchronized with the PC. I went into Outlook and they were all there.

Just to verify, I disconnected the phone, added a new contact and appointment and connected again. Confirmed, the issue was resolved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for this information. I am saving it to favourites and will follow the instructions closely.

Linley Meslier said...

Keep me posted if you have any issues. Just send me an email.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thank you for sharing this.
I have the same problem, but also I can't install any program. It only works if I copy the .cab files to my PDA.

I'll try to do what you suggested, hopefully this will help.