Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Phone - a short review

As soon as Steve Ballmer ended his speech at the Mobile World Congress, the My Phone service went live and was available as first-come-first-serve. I was lucky to get a participation code yesterday.
 
I wasted no time to download and install the file that lets you connect to the service and sync/backup your contacts, calendar events, music, pictures, tasks and videos to a 200mb online storage area. The allocated storage is small; I won't load my videos to My Phone.
 
There were no issues during the installation, except that I got an error saying "unable to connect to sync server" after I clicked sign in. I clicked again and it worked. Once logged in, you select the sync method you prefer; manual and automatic. I chose manual.  Click Next and you get the screen where you select which items to sync.
 
Calendar and Contacts were grayed out for me. My device was connected to an Exchange server for email sync only. But still, My Phone did not offer the option to sync Calendar and Contacts.   I deleted the Exchange account and both the Calendar and Contacts were available as items to sync. The first sync was successful and all my items were there on the site.
 
After the first sync, I made a couple of changes to some contacts on my device. I wanted to see My Phone's behavior when the same contact has been modified on both ends.  It appears that changes made on the device takes precedence, which makes sense. Now time to get rid of all my contacts and calendar events on the phone and see how the restore works.
 
On my device, I renamed PIM and rebooted my device. Sure enough, the Contacts application was empty. I opened My Phone of my device, click Sync and my data was back - So simple.
 
Pros:
 
1.  Simple to use
 
Cons:
 
1.  200MB????
2.  Cannot customize columns on the site
3.  Does not sync pics, videos from storage card
 

Sent from my Windows Mobile® phone.

2 comments:

wwejason said...

ALL of the pictures on my storage card synced, but none of my videos did.

Linley Meslier said...

In fact it does sync pictures from the flash disk on my HTC advantage.