Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Thoughts: Why can’t Pocket IE access secure websites?

This article is not about all the limitations of Pocket IE, but only one of them. Pocket IE is not a full fledge internet browser. I consider the inability of the browser to access secured site extremely obnoxious to my productivity. What’s worst is that I came across several sites or forums with a trick that supposed to make Pocket IE a full version of Internet Explorer 6.0. This involves a registry tweak of course. This fix does let you access some sites, but did you ever try to access a secure website. Take your bank’s website for example. If Pocket IE doesn’t have the required SSL, there is no way you can make any transactions online, not even log on to the site. What’s the purpose of the tweak? And the “full IE 6.0” does not even squeeze the site to fit on your screen.

To solve this problem, I simply purchased Opera 8.60. No limitations uncovered yet.
I would suggest to the Microsoft folks that they deliver a completely revamped version of Pocket Internet Explorer that will let me access my company’s secure website while I’m on the road. This is what mobility is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IE also doesnt do applets properly