Thursday, September 07, 2006

Yahoo! Go v/s Emoze

I received a request from a customer asking for the differences between Yahoo! Go and Emoze. I'll try to list the differences I found and similarities if any. Note that this my point of view after having carried out some test. You should also know that I am actually using Yahoo! Go.

Yahoo! Go is a simple program that let's you connect to Yahoo servers to download emails, synchronize your address book and Calendar or upload pictures. In short it has nice features. To install the program, you just have to run a Cab file on your device. After that you provide your Yahoo credentials (Yes you need to have a Yahoo account) and the synchronization starts. You can choose what you want Yahoo to synchronize. Even if you cannot select the connection schedule, the folks at Yahoo have done a great job so as to connect only when necessary. I noticed that a connection is set only when new email reaches my inbox. Which is very convenient. Emoze lets you set the time you want it to connect to check for new messages. It will do so even if you don't have any.


Emoze is a "Battery-Eater". After a day of automatic connection, your device needs to be recharged. Emoze needs to be installed on your device and your home computer. Your home PC remains on all day with outlook running. Then Emoze desktop synchronizes with your device over the internet. The program comes free but what a huge cost to incur. Yahoo has no visible effect on the power consumption. Sometimes Yahoo! Go will synchronize data without initiating internet connection.

Note that I've configured my Gmail to forward all new mails to my Yahoo account. Right now, I don't have to worry about downloading my emails anymore. It's fully automated.

For all those reading this, feel free to share your comments or your choice. As far as I'm concerned, the choice between Yahoo and Emoze was obvious.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hrmm ive never realy been a fan of yahoo (and least of all msn/hotmail) but i use a corperate account as my main ppc (uses exchange server) except for the occasional gmail email. still never like the look of emoze

Linley Meslier said...

In your situation, such solutions as Yahoo! Go does not make any sense. But not everybody has the luck of having MS Push Mail.

Anonymous said...

Are you aware of any similar services for Hotmail?

Linley Meslier said...

no such service from hotmail yet. but who knows

Anonymous said...

How can you compare so different things. Emoze it's future and Yahoo!Go. stone age.

Linley Meslier said...

the main difference is that I don't have to leave my PC on all times for email delivery to my pda. Yahoo servers handle this for me.

Anonymous said...

Wow...some people are just dorks and miss the friggin point... Your observations were well noted and much appreciated i'm sure by anyone with half a brain. Thanks.

The only downfall for Yahoo Go that in this competition is its lack of ability to synchronize mobile contacts to the pc.. to be able to send your mobile address book to your pc would be a huge bonus and advantage. Grrr.

Anonymous said...

As a long term emoze user on both my pocket pc and symbian smartphone I agree with the battery comment if you elect to receive your emails too often. My love of the system is that as I run Cloudmark on my PC all of the spam and junk is filtered out prior to the emails being forwarded to my mobile device saving alot of data and battery.
Being a small business one man band emoze has enabled me to stay productive whilst I am out and about.

Linley Meslier said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, but i prefer using Hotmail/Windows Live. It is free and does not require additional software installation.