Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My HTC S620 runs WM6 without documents editing capability.

I did the upgrade to WM6 yesterday and things went really well. After a smooth installation, the device rebooted and the Windows Mobile logo appeared. At this point I thought my Smartphone had frozen as it was just sitting there, static, with no indication at all that something was actually happening in the background. I resisted the temptation to press the button and I think that was the wisest decision of the day. Eventually, after a while, the phone came back to life and the Vista-like Home screen appeared.

WM6 has a nice design and the icons are attractive, but overall the home screen looks the same. The Start menu has been rearranged with Messaging still showing first, followed by Office and Call History. The new comers being Yahoo Go and a calculator. One of the first applications I wanted to have a look at was Office. I had viewers before the upgrade and WM6 Standard edition (previously, Smartphone Edition) ships with documents/spreadsheets editors. The latter seems to have been omitted because I can still only view documents. There are no editing capabilities in Office on my WM6 Smartphone. Why is that?

The device seems to be running faster since the upgrade. I noticed that when using Opera 8.65 beta. It loads pages much faster and some of the bugs I noticed in WM5 simply vanished in WM6. However, I’m having issues with Internet Explorer Mobile not able to access Google sites anymore. Not sure if this is my connection causing this, but will test it today.

Since most of the new WM6 features requires Exchanges server 2007, there’s nothing more that I can write about that’s not already been told elsewhere. In the following days, I’m just going to play with my “new” device and will report back any issues.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !!

After a couple of days, how are things going with your s620 ? I heard that the WM6 upgrade makes the s620 "eat" much more memory. Also, that many features could not work. What says the "real world" ?
Thanks !
Cavneg

Linley Meslier said...

Hi,

I will post about it soon. Stay tuned.

Linley

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Does wm6 rom for HTC S620 contains VOIP software from Microsoft ?

Linley Meslier said...

No it does not.