Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Tips: Edit the predictive text database on the HTC S620

This only works on the WM6 version of the HTC S620. A couple of weeks ago, I posted about Xt9 remembering my passwords. Since I consider this a serious security flaw, I went to look for the database that stored text data and I found them. et9Cdb.cdb and et9Rudb.Rdb are stored in the Windows folder and easily editable using any text editor software.
It is possible to simply delete these two files. They will re-create themselves when Xt9 is enabled again. In my previous post, I disabled Xt9. You might want to do this to keep your passwords safe.


Posted on the GO!

2 comments:

David said...

I tried this on my HTC S710 which has WM6 from the start but these files are empty... How did you locate the files and what do you use to edit them? Thanks

Linley Meslier said...

You need to connect your Smartphone to your PC and use the Explorer utility in Activesync. Then locate the \Windows folder. Right click on the files and select Open With. Choose Notepad from the list.